Face the Dawn

Matt is walking home from San Francisco

Interlude: lacuna

with 5 comments

Last Friday I got to the top of Sitgreaves Pass and called Lori, who told me that my mother had died that morning. I walked two more days, then came home to prepare for the trip to Indiana for the funeral. I plan to pick up the walk sometime the weekend of November 14, and I will post my itinerary and hope that many of you will plan to walk some of the last miles into Prescott with me.

I hope to use some of my time with net access to get some photos up and make some minor revisions to the blog posts.

Thanks for all your good wishes and thoughts.

Written by walkingman

November 4th, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Posted in meta

5 Responses to 'Interlude: lacuna'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Interlude: lacuna'.

1. I have thought of you so often these last few days. Maybe your family loss is why. I am so sorry and send all my sympathy to your family.

Take care of yourself babe. And celebrate every step of the rest of the walk.

Love,
    Carrie

Carrie

9 Nov 08 at 8:10 am

2. Matt, I’m so sorry to hear about your mom — was this expected or out of the blue? It seems to me that we were only sitting around your family’s dinner table a blink ago, and Chris was only seven, and Katie still a talkative young girl. Your Mom was very nice to me as I remember. I was surprised. We were talking about your favorite coconut cake. That’s the kind of stuff we like to bring out of experiences like that…. it’s what we can do.

I would love to discuss further with you on your walk sometime. It would seem an indulgence to some; but I know you’re taking it metaphyisically, for lack of a better word.

BTW Robert is doing somewhat better; appears to have most of his voice back now; has just completed last operation; hopefully restoring his retina (it had a macular hole.). He’s gone through serious stuff – even his face had reconstruction.

I am going to read further on your blog….

Xibee

10 Nov 08 at 8:10 am

3. Xibee,

mom was diagnosed with brain cancer a year ago, so we had plenty of warning.

i’m surprised and moved that you remember so much about my family — when we were going through photos, i found some pictures of the christmas you spent in bloomington. nice to see your 20-something face smiling out at me.

-m-

walkingman

13 Nov 08 at 9:37 am

4. Have you reached “the end”? Are you home? I wonder what it will be like to re-enter ‘normal’ life?! Walking is addictive I find; after the weekend of 60 km, with 37 km on one day in 8 hours, I can’t believe I am only walking a couple of kms a day now. Something important is missing.
    Let’s talk. I would love to hear about the important bits. And I wish I were still living in Tucson so that I could go cache-hunting with you!

Carrie

23 Nov 08 at 9:58 pm

5. So sorry to hear about your Mom, Matt. Seems like you are in the middle of all kinds of significant moments. I was just trying to look you up to see what you were doing – knew about you and Lori getting married, stumbled on the Great Walk, then Mom. Powerful stuff. Angie and I are both keeping a good thought for you. See you soon, Andrew

Andrew J-S